The Village of Netherton

Netherton
Netherton showing St Kessog's on the far left, Kessogbank, Woodbank and McGregor's Buildings with the Netherton Inn in the centre

Yarrow House

Lyalls Garage/Yarrow House
Lyall's Garage, Yarrow House

Contrary to what might be thought, Yarrow House is not named after Sir Alfred Yarrow, the shipbuilder, but the River Yarrow in the Borders. The house was built by a Mr Wallace who had been the gardener at Campsie Dene House. His intention was to build Yarrow House with a tearoom on the bottom floor and the self contained apartments upstairs which would be let. Behind the house, the plan was to build a market garden and there grow a variety of garden produce for sale. In many ways his plan was the fore runner of the modern garden centre which has become so popular today.
Having built Yarrow House, he then built Sydney Bank and Laburnum Cottage next to it. Unfortunately he encountered financial problems and went into liquidation, having underestimated the difficulty in transporting his produce to the markets in Glasgow. The only means of transport was the train and this was expensive. He was subsequently involved in quite a lengthy bankruptcy court case.
Yarrow House was the site of Campbell's Tearoom before it moved over to the villas at Crosshill. It was taken over by Mr Lyall as a garage and motor hirer. The garage was later run by his son in law Davy McGregor.

McGregor's Shop 1895

In 1895 the shops at Netherton were built by David McGregor on the proceeds of the money that he had made supplying the needs of the navvies who had come to construct the second aqueduct. Initially he had a large wooden building at the back of the present building and the navvies would come up from their temporary accommodation at the factory on the football field to shop there. While the navvies were in the village, business was brisk and the new shop prospered. Unfortunately the venture suffered difficulties when the second aqueduct was completed, as a large part of the trade left and it took a number of years before it returned to profit. Underneath the shop was McGregor's Hall. It was a popular little hall used for meetings, playing games etc. In 1921 the Comrades of the Great War ( Strathblane Post ) met there, as did the Strathblane Bowling Club for carpet bowls.

Telephone Exchange

In the first decade of the 20th century, telephone reached the village with two companies - The National Telephone Company and the Glasgow Corporation Municipal Telephones. Both these companies were taken over by the Post Office,and the general use of telephones spread quickly after an initial 17 subscribers, the first telephone exchange was established in basement of McGregor's shop and was operated by Jean and Nan McGregor.

The Stirling Observer of the 6th January 1949 paid tribute to both of them on their retiral after 39 years of service at the telephone exchange owing to an automatic telephone exchange having been installed. Their bravery during the bombing at Blanefield and the efficiency, patience and sympathy with which they carried out their duties was warmly applauded. Each was presented with a substantial wallet of notes donated by the telephone subscribers.
Before the exchange was automated, it was quite common for the subscriber to call the exchange and tell Miss McGregor that he/she would be at such and such a house if a call came for them!

Netherton, Blanefield
On the right is McGregor's shop with the hall underneath. To the left is the former Rechabite Hall, St Kessog's well and the Netherton Inn

Netherton Inn /Blane Valley Inn

The Netherton Inn, according to Guthrie Smith, was established by an Allan Ewing, for long a forester at Carbeth Guthrie, who built a small shop and dwelling house to the east of the Rechabite Hall and this subsequently became a Public House. In 1880 an Archibald Glendinning is recorded as being the occupier at the Netherton Inn. By the 1930's it had been taken over by Mr Gray. The Inn was noted for its fine wooden decoration at the front of the building. This has been removed and it is now known as the Blane Valley Inn. The Society of Rechabites - a temperance body - built a hall on the north side of the public road next to where the Blane Valley Inn is situated. This was in about 1846; but the society did not prosper and the house was sold and converted into dwelling houses. This hall has had a number of functions. After it was a dwelling house, it was first the Police Station before becoming the Doctor's Surgery then reverting back to a dwelling house. The Band of Hope - another temperance movement - fared better than the Rechabites and continued at least until the 1920's.

The Muir Family outside their dDrapery shop at Crosshill
The Muir Family outside their drapery shop at Crosshill

The construction of the second aqueduct 1885-96 brought prosperity to the village as well as a source of willing labour, in the form of the navvies. After the completion of St Kessog's Church, Father Foley the priest announced that Mistress Muir, a widow woman, wanted help with the building of a house at Crosshill. It was made clear that there would be no payment but barrels of beer would be freely available! The house was completed in 1894 and is now owned by the Water Board.
The Muir family has played an important role in the life of the Parish, both in terms of the number of buildings they have built, and in terms of public service. They came to the parish from Fife in the 1850's to work in the building of the first aqueduct. They then moved on to build the filter beds for the printworks. Crosshill was the first house that Daniel Muir built on completing his apprenticeship. It was completed in 1894 and marked the start of the Muir Brothers building business, which expanded throughout the West of Scotland. Within the village, the Muirs built Broombank about 1908, which was down what is known after Daniel Muir as Danny's Brae. This was followed by Holmlea and Glenlyon in 1911. Primrose Cottage was built in 1912 to accommodate the clerical workers of Sir Alfred Yarrow and Gamesley was built in 1913. The Muirs also built the Village Club and the Edmonstone Hall as well as several other houses throughout the parish.

Kessogbank

Kessogbank is located on the boundary of the Leddriegreen and Duntreath Estates and was built in 1889. It apparently formed part of a nuptial agreement between a Miss Graham and Robert McLintock who was the Printworks manager. It is now a private dwelling house. In the garden of Kessogbank is located St Kessog's well.

Crosshill

The name Crosshill, according to Guthrie Smith, refers to the practice of pilgrims coming up the hill from Netherton and stopping at the cross on the hill to say their first prayer on seeing the Church in the distance.
The three double villas at Crosshill, opposite the Edmonstone Hall,were the result of speculative building. When the Printworks building on the football field was being demolished ,the material from these works was used to build the houses. However, the builder could not sell all these houses and eventually went into liquidation. The builder was perhaps 50 years before his time both in terms of speculating and being environmentally friendly! Campbell's Tearoom was also located in one of the villas after it moved from Yarrow House.
During the First World War recruiting rallies were held on the site of what became the Edmonstone Hall.

Woodbank

Woodbank was originally five houses built in the 1830's It is thought it was inhabited by people working in the printworks. Next to Woodbank was a small café. This is now known as Serendipity.

©Alison Dryden, Strathblane Heritage Society 2003